THE DOGE'S PALACE
(image from Franzoi 1979, 11)
(image from Franzoi 1979, 6)
The Doge’s palace was the residence of the
Doge as well as the centre of political and legal
administration. As such it included the apartments and council
chambers of the Doge, but also as a public building it included
assembly halls, court rooms and offices of the government, even
the state prison (Chambers 1970, 142-3; Hibbert 1988, 337).
The first palace was a fortified castle
dated in the beginning of the 9th c., which was
restored in the late 10th c. after a fire. (Serra
1950, 3; Hibbert 1988, 337). The Gothic palace owes its
appearance to major changes in the architectural layout which
took place in the 14th c. These changes and additions
included the construction of the Sala Del Maggior Consiglio,
which took over almost the entire south wing, adorned with
Eastern motives and fine gothic style (Hazlitt 1900, 372-3;
Serra 1950, 4; Hibbert 1988, 337).
Changes and extensions continued in the first
half of the 15th c. mainly around the 1430’s,
although a decision had been made from 1422 to restore and build
new wings. Stylistically, the new buildings are characterized by
a conservative architectural style in order to match the 14th
facades of the rest of the building complex (Romano, 63-4). The
most important building activities of the period were the
extension of the western arcades, the construction of the Porta
della Carta and the Foscari porch.
THE MARQUIS AT VENICE
from Emmons 2004, 7)
stayed at the Marquis of Ferrara’s palace at San Giacomo
dell’Orio, which was used for receiving high ranking visitors.
This was originally the palace of the Pesaro family and late
presented to the Este family by Venice and was named the Casa
des Marchese. The palace was originally built for Angelo
Pesaro in the 13th c. in Veneto- Byzantine style
(Emmons 2004, 2). In 1381 Venice gave it to the Duke of Ferrara,
Nicholas II, along with 10000 ducats of gold, as part of the
alliance of the two cities against Genoa and Padua.
by Jonathan Shea)
This palace was closely associated with the
polices of Venice regarding the terraferma, since in three different
occasions it was taken away from Ferrara due to its rebellions of
alliances with Venice’s enemies(Emmons 2004, 2). Being located on the
Grand Canale, the palace was occupying a prominent position close to a
series of public spaces. It enjoyed great views of the canal, especially
since it has a double height portico, a wide arcaded façade and many
windows but at the same time enjoys seclusion due to its position within
Santa Croce. (Fortini Brown 1990, 139; Emmons 2004, 7; Romano 2007,
136). In the beginning of the 17th c. after the death of the
last Duke of Ferrara, there was much dispute regarding ownership of the
palace but it was finally sold to Antonio Priuli. He leased the palace
to serve as the fondaco for merchants and their wares coming from the
Ottoman Empire, hence the name Fondaco dei Turchi (Emmons 2004, 3,5).
Example of a two-storey house
(image from Sigalos
The two-storey house is a frequent occurrence
in the Late Byzantine architecture, as it was a common way to
exploit the slope difference (since many such houses were built
on steep hills surrounding a fortified citadel), and to extend
the space of a house (Bouras 1983, 22; Sigalos 2004, 65, 80).
However a two-storey house would also add to the prestige of the
owner, providing a better view of the settlement but also
allowing immediate view of the house by everyone. A house with a
good view must have been very important since we know of laws
which protected the view of houses by limiting the obstruction
of view caused by new buildings (Sigalos 2004, 65).
Such houses were divided in the upper floor
or floors and the ground floor, which were usually separately
accessed from separate entrances and with no immediate
communication between them (Sigalos 2004, 65, 80). The living
quarters were located in the upper floor and usually had only
one or two rooms while further separation of the space could be
achieved with curtains and parapets (Sigalos 2004, 80).
The ground floor could be used for storage
and for stabling the animals as in the case of the pigs found in
this house. This floor was usually smaller than the upper one or
cutting into the bedrock, but the walls were thicker, and often
a barrel vault would provide some stability and support of the
upper floor (Sigalos 2004, 80). There was also an open yard in
one side or surrounding the house (Sigalos 2004, 80).
Such houses have been recorded in Mouchli,
Palaiochora of Kythera, Mystras, Geraki, Rentina, Didimoteicho
and elsewhere (A.D. 1988, 444; Moutsopoulos 1985, 323-53;
Moutsopoulos 1997, 84; Sigalos 2004, 82, 201,203, 208).