KENCHREAI

 

http://www.macalester.edu/classics/kenchreai/site.html

The port of Kenchreai was one of the two ports of Corinth located southeast of the city. Although Kenchreai had been a very important port during the ancient Greek and Roman times, and was still much in use during the late Antique/Early Byzantine period according to the excavation finds, during the early 15th c, it had lost its significant role (Scranton et al. 1978; http://www.macalester.edu/classics/ kenchreai/site_kut.html). Its position is noted in many portolans, but according to the written sources of the period, the harbour was not part of the main routes to CP; instead Euripos was now the main landing place and station for anyone travelling from the Peloponnese towards Thessaloniki (Koder 1973, 102). Nevertheless it was still an operating port where a ship could land. Manuel II Palaiologos had landed at the port of Kenchreai when, in 1415, he travelled to Corinth in order to reconstruct the Hexamilion (Barker 1962, 39,41).

The ancient harbour. Image from http://www.macalester.edu/classics/kenchreai/site.html

 

The excavations in Kenchreai provided only a few artefacts of the Middle Ages, such as pottery sherds and a couple of coins, but the excavation will  continue and expand in the next years hopefully more information of Late Byzantine Kenchreai will be available in the future  (Scranton et al. 1978, 48). In addition other areas close to Kenchreai, such as Isthmia and Acrocorinth and its hinterland, where the main settlements of the late Byzantine period were located, have produced artifacts such as architectural remains and pottery (Gregory 1989, 201-8; http://isthmia.osu.edu/reports.html)

 

F.K.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Translation is Centre for Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies, IAA, University of Birmingham 2008

 

All images are the property of those cited and may not be used for profit.

 

Last updated 06 November 2008